Getting Licensed

Thank you for your interest in Dolby Laboratories. To apply for a license to include Dolby® technology in your products, please follow these instructions. If you are an existing Dolby licensee, please contact your sales manager instead of filling out the form below.

Step 1

Determine whether your product or content is aimed at the consumer or professional market:


A/V receivers

Digital televisions

DVD or Blu-ray Disc™ players

Integrated circuits

Mobile devices

PC hardware or software

Portable media players

Set-top boxes

Software implementations within products for consumers



Content for public broadcast, wide distribution, and/or retail sale

Media authoring


Professional music

Television production

Step 2

Complete the application form to indicate your interest in the consumer or professional license. We will contact you and send you the appropriate questionnaire to license Dolby technology.

Apply for a Consumer License 

Apply for a Professional License 

Step 3

Complete the questionnaire and send it, along with any requested financial information, to Dolby for review and approval.

Step 4

Dolby will send you a contract to complete; review, sign, and return the contract with the initial license fee. Dolby will then send you the requested technology; marketing, testing, and implementation tools; and other important information about working with Dolby.

Step 5

Submit your product or implementation containing Dolby technology for testing to ensure that it meets Dolby’s quality standards. Upon approval, your company becomes an official Dolby Licensee and is added to the Dolby Licensee list so you can work with other Dolby Licensees to buy or sell implementations.

Agreement for Encoded Content and Media

If you would like to use Dolby trademarks to indicate that your recorded audio content has been encoded with Dolby technologies, or to use Dolby trailers at the beginning of broadcasts, games, or video programs, you must complete a Dolby Logo Use Agreement Application (trademark agreement).

Agreement for Motion Pictures

If you are creating a motion picture and want to release it in Dolby Digital audio, you will need to complete a Motion Picture Service Agreement (MPSA).