Environmental Commitment

{{ videoLinkButton.text }} {{ videoLinkButton.text }}

Environmental sustainability is a top priority for Dolby, and we continue to strengthen our initiatives to combat climate change and its devastating impacts on our planet, people and communities. We prioritize measuring and disclosing our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions across our value chain, identifying options to reduce emissions where we can, and exploring opportunities to offset where we cannot.

As part of our effort to mitigate our environmental footprint, we are challenging ourselves to identify opportunities to reduce waste, conserve water in our operations and improve the efficiency of the buildings in which we work.

We are also working to improve the environmental performance of our products. Dolby products are compliant with the requirements of the European RoHS Directive and REACH Regulation and we look for opportunities to make our products more energy-efficient. Our products also comply with the EU WEEE Directive and we have programs in place to address electronic waste, packaging waste,and battery waste, thereby reducing the impact of the eventual end-of-life of our products.

Setting goals for a brighter future

Dolby is committed to setting ambitious and achievable goals for reducing our carbon footprint. We have launched a goal setting process to develop near-term GHG reduction goals in alignment with the most recent climate science with the ultimate goal of carbon neutrality by 2030 (see goals below).

Goals image.jpg

Detailed data and more information on our plans to reduce our Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions can be found in our FY21 Sustainability Report and Sustainability Metrics At A Glance.

Poland DLB_Wroclaw_74 (Poland)-2.jpg

Reducing our carbon footprint

We employ sustainable building practices at many of our office locations by taking an environment-first approach and occupying, whenever possible, buildings with green building certifications (e.g.,LEED). Our Wroclaw office in Poland is LEED Platinum certified and our headquarters in San Francisco is LEED Gold certified. As part of the LEED Gold certification at our headquarters, we have lighting controls and motion sensors to reduce energy usage and LED lighting throughout the workspace to significantly decrease power consumption. Dolby also has offices in LEED-certified buildings in Munich, Beijing and Shenzhen.

Dolby sites in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Los Angeles, Denver, and Sydney are all powered by 100% renewable electricity as are two data center co-locations in Amsterdam and Las Vegas.  We are also developing onsite solar capacity at our Sunnyvale location.

By 2025, we intend to reach 100% renewable electricity by purchasing and generating enough renewable energy to match our total electricity consumption globally.

In measuring our carbon footprint across our entire value chain, we learned that our operations account for 4% of our total emissions, with the remaining 96% of emissions coming from our upstream and downstream activities (Scope 3). 

We are currently in the process of setting emissions reduction targets for the largest sources of our Scope 3 emissions which are Purchased Goods and Services (including Capital Goods), the Use of Sold Products and Business Travel, with the ultimate goal of carbon neutrality by 2030. 

Orb Solar India 16x9.jpg

In the interim, we purchase high-quality carbon offsets to compensate for emissions from business travel. In addition to their environmental benefits, the selected projects address social impact priorities including education, gender equity, poverty, economic growth and health. These projects include afforestation in China, household solar energy in India and Gyapa efficient cookstoves in Ghana. 

 

Learn more

For more information on Dolby’s environmental, social and governance efforts, visit the Sustainability@Dolby page.