Effective Date: January 1, 2023
This Policy describes the types of personal information we obtain when you use the Services how we may use the information; with whom we may share it; the rights that you have with respect to your information; and the choices available to you regarding our use of your information. This Policy also describes the measures we take to protect the security of the personal information we process, how long we retain it, and how you can exercise your rights and contact us about our privacy practices.
Your use of our Services is voluntary. By using, accessing, or downloading the Services, or by voluntarily providing us with any personal information as described in the “Information We Obtain” section of this Policy, you accept and consent to the terms set forth in this Policy. If you do not agree to these terms, do not use, access, or download the Services. Please note, however, that if you do not provide certain information, we may not be able to accomplish some or all of the purposes outline in this Policy, and you may not be able to use certain tools and systems which require the use of such personal data.
Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
- Information We Obtain
- How We Use the Information We Obtain
- Third-Party Analytics Services
- Data Transfers
- Your Rights and Choices
- Other Online Services and Third-Party Features
- How We Protect Personal Information
- Retention of Personal Information
- California Consumer Privacy Rights
- Children's Personal Information
- How to Contact Us
Information We Obtain
We may obtain certain information in connection with your use of the Services.
Information You Submit
When you sign up to receive certain types of information (such as email newsletters, product software upgrades, and some licensee-related documents) or otherwise actively send us data (such as to sign up for a Service, participate in a contest or engage with a website we operate for business partners), we obtain data such as your name, email address, mailing address, telephone number, login credentials, business details, and any other information you provide. This may include personal information to create or modify an account or submitted through our surveys, registrations, reviews, and “Support” and “Contact Us” features.
If you contact us directly, we may receive additional information about you. For example, if you use our customer support tools or services, we may obtain any other information you choose to provide.
If you purchase a product from our online store, or otherwise pay for a Service (such as Dolby.io), we will request that you provide name, email address, company name, billing and shipping address, phone number, and payment card details (including card number, expiration date and security code). Your payment-related details are collected and stored by our third-party payment processor on our behalf.
Information When You Use the PHRTF Creator App
Solely with respect to the PHRTF Creator App, we ask you to capture video of your head and shoulders, and we derive cropped images and measurements related to your features from the video footage. To help us generate a personalized audio setting, we also ask you to complete an optional survey of demographic information, including your sex, age, height, weight, and ethnicity.
Information When You Use Dolby.io
We collect information from you when you interact with Dolby.io. For example, if you utilize Dolby.io Communications APIs, we process voice or video calls and any documents you may share through the usage of Dolby.io. If you utilize the Dolby.io Media APIs, we process audio or audio/visual media files. Additionally, we collect information when you participate in chat functionality or otherwise communicate through Dolby.io, or when you use customer support tools or services—for instance, if you utilize the diagnostic recording feature to submit content for customer support, we may obtain voice or video recordings from you. We may also obtain voice or video recordings from you if you utilized the storage feature as part of your use of Dolby.io.
Information Collected By Automated Means
We may automatically obtain analytics information relating to products you purchase from us, such as usage statistics, the type of devices you connect to your product, dates and times of app visits, and technical information about your product.
We also may obtain other information about you, your devices and apps, and your use of our Services, in ways that we describe at the time of collection or otherwise with your consent. We also may receive information about you from publicly and commercially available sources in accordance with applicable law.
How We Use the Information We Obtain
We may use the information we obtain about you to:
- Provide and update our Services;
- Process and fulfill claims and orders in connection with our Services and keep you informed about the status of your order, account, or application;
- Personalize your experience with our Services;
- Establish and manage your Dolby account and profile;
- Communicate about and administer our Services, events, surveys, programs and promotions (such as by sending alerts, promotional materials, newsletters and other marketing communications, and by providing customer support and responding to feedback and inquiries);
- Facilitate your interaction with certain third-party services as described below;
- Track and understand how you use and interact with our Services;
- Perform analytics (including market and consumer research, trend analysis, financial analysis, measuring engagements and interactions, and anonymization and aggregation of personal information);
- Operate, evaluate, develop, manage and improve our business (including operating, administering, analyzing, enhancing, and improving our Services; developing new products and services; managing and evaluating the effectiveness of our communications; and performing accounting, auditing, billing reconciliation and collection activities and other internal functions);
- Increase and maintain the safety and security of our Services and prevent misuse;
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
As required by applicable law, we use the personal information we obtain about you to comply with relevant legal requirements, carry out our contractual obligations and, as permitted by law, pursue our legitimate interests (such as managing our Services and operating, evaluating and improving our business), or we obtain consent to process personal information. We also may use personal information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection. You are not required to provide to Dolby any of the personal information described above but, if you choose not to do so, you may not be able to receive any of the products and services described above, access certain parts of our Services, participate in our promotions, or receive information from us that you have requested. We may combine information we obtain about you (such as through our Services or from third parties) for the purposes described above.
Third-Party Analytics Services
We may use third-party web analytics tools, apps, widgets, and plug-ins on our Services, such as Google Analytics, Facebook, DoubleClick, Sproutsocial, Twitter, and YouTube. The vendors that administer these tools use automated technologies to collect data (such as identifiers associated with your device) to evaluate use of our Services.
To learn more about Google Analytics, and how to opt out, please visit http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/, or any other URL that Google may provide from time to time.
For more information on Facebook’s Data Policy, please review https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/, or other URL that Facebook may provide from time to time.
Online Tracking and Interest-Based Advertising
You may see our ads on other websites or mobile apps because we participate in advertising networks (“ad networks”). Ad networks allow us to target our messaging to users considering individuals’ interests, demographics data, and browsing context. This process also helps us track the effectiveness of our marketing efforts.
In order to provide you with tailored advertising, we may collect information about your online activities. This data collection takes place both on our Services and by certain third parties on the third-party websites and apps that participate in ad networks.
The information our ad networks may collect includes data about users’ visits to websites and apps that participate in the relevant ad networks, such as the pages or ads viewed, and the actions taken on the websites or apps. These networks also track users’ online activities across multiple websites and apps over time to build a profile of users’ online browsing and app usage activities.
Ad networks collect information through automated means, including through the use of browser cookies, Flash cookies, web beacons, device identifiers, server logs, web beacons and other similar technologies.
We do not sell or otherwise share personal information about you except as described in this Policy. We may share your personal information with (1) our affiliates and subsidiaries and (2) our service providers who perform services on our behalf, such as order fulfillment and data analytics and storage. We do not authorize our service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements.
When you use our Services to access or interact with third-party apps and services, we may send certain personal information to these third parties to provide you with the services you request. These third parties also may collect certain personal information directly from your devices. Please see the “Other Online Services and Third-Party Features” section below for additional information on the use of these services.
If you choose to post a product review on the Services, the content you post along with your first name and last initial will be displayed on the Services and will be viewable by other users. We are not responsible for other users’ use of available information, so you should carefully consider whether and what to post or how you identify yourself on the Services. You may request to delete your product reviews by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also may disclose information about you (1) if we are required to do so by law or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena); (2) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; (3) in connection with legal proceedings or otherwise to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; (4) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical or other harm or financial loss; (5) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity; or (6) otherwise with your consent.
We reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event of a proposed or completed sale or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a proposed or completed merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation).
We may transfer the personal information we obtain about you to the United States, which may have different data protection laws than the country in which you initially provided the information. To the extent required by applicable law, when we transfer your personal information to recipients in the U.S., we will take measures to protect that information in accordance with applicable law. When we transfer information to data recipients in countries that have not been recognized by the European Commission or U.K.
Information Commissioner’s Office as providing an adequate level of data protection, including the U.S., we implement appropriate safeguards to help ensure that we protect that information as described in this Policy, including by entering into the European Commission’s or Information Commissioner’s Office Standard Contractual Clauses with the data recipient or via other measures in compliance with applicable law.
If you are located outside the U.S., by submitting personal information to us, you understand that this information will be transferred to Dolby in the U.S. If you do not want your personal information transferred to the U.S., please do not submit any information to us.
If you are located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland, we will comply with applicable legal requirements providing adequate protection for the transfer of personal information to recipients in countries outside the EEA or Switzerland.
Your Rights and Choices
We offer you certain choices in connection with the personal information we obtain about you. To update your preferences, correct your information, limit the communications you receive from us, or submit a request, please contact us as specified in the How to Contact Us section of this Policy. To opt out of receiving further commercial emails or to unsubscribe from Services, please contact us at unsubscribe (at) dolby.com.
You can manage how your mobile device shares certain device data by adjusting the privacy and security settings on your mobile device. Some Dolby apps allow you to opt out of the sharing of analytics data with Dolby. Please visit your app settings.
To the extent provided by applicable law of your jurisdiction, you may have the right to (1) request access to certain personal information we maintain about you; (2) request that we update, correct, amend, erase or restrict certain personal information; and (3) exercise your right to data portability. To exercise these rights, please contact us as indicated in the How to Contact Us section of this Policy. Depending on your location, you may have the right to file a complaint with a government regulator if you are not satisfied with our response. Where provided by law, you may withdraw any consent you previously provided to us or object at any time to the processing of your personal information on legitimate grounds relating to your particular situation, and we will apply your preferences going forward as appropriate. To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we may take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to the information. To the extent permitted by applicable law, a charge may apply before we provide you with a copy of any of your personal information that we maintain.
We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” signals.
Other Online Services and Third-Party Features
Our Services may provide links to other online services for your convenience and information, and may include third-party features such as apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins. These online services and third-party features may operate independently from us. The privacy practices of the relevant third parties, including details on the information they may collect about you, is subject to the privacy statements of these parties, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent any linked or embedded online services or third-party features are not owned or controlled by us, Dolby is not responsible for these third parties’ information practices.
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect personal information against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Retention of Personal Information
We will retain your personal information for the time period reasonably necessary to achieve the purposes described in this Policy, or any other notice provided at the time of collection, taking into account applicable statutes of limitation and records retention requirements under applicable law.
PHRTF Creator App
With respect to the PHRTF Creator App: with your permission, we retain copies of your video and derived measurements of your features for two years so that we can improve the recommended PHRTF for you and continue to improve the quality of our audio settings without the need to capture new video. If you extend your permission, we may retain this information for additional two-year periods. Please see the Settings menu within the PHRTF Creator App to change the permissions you have granted us to retain video images and measurements of your features. The information you provide when setting up an account (e.g., name and email address) will be retained until your account is closed or deleted).
Children’s Personal Information
We recognize the importance of protecting children's online privacy. Dolby’s Services are intended for a general audience and are not directed to children. We do not knowingly collect personal information online from children under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will promptly delete the information from our records. If you believe that a child under the age of 13 may have provided us with personal information, please contact us as specified in the How to Contact Us section of this Policy.
California Consumer Privacy Statement
Effective Date: January 1, 2023
This California Consumer Privacy Statement uses certain terms that have meanings given to them in the California Consumer Privacy Act, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act, and its implementing regulations (collectively, the “CCPA/CPRA”).
Notice of Collection and Use of Personal Information
We may collect (and may have collected during the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this Statement) the following categories of personal information about you:
- Identifiers: identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier (such as device identifiers; cookies, beacons, pixel tags, mobile ad identifiers, server logs and similar technology; customer number, unique pseudonym, or user alias; telephone number and other forms of persistent or probabilistic identifiers;, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, login credentials, and other similar identifiers.
- Additional Data Subject to Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80: signature, credit card number, debit card number, and other financial information; with respect to the PHRTF Creator App, we may also collect physical characteristics or description.
- Protected Classifications: characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, such as gender, race, age, sex, marital status, disability, medical condition, citizenship status, and military and veteran status.
- Commercial Information: commercial information, including products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, and other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Online Activity: Internet and other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history and information regarding your interaction with websites, applications or advertisements, and diagnostic logs (including configuration and status of the system and system events).
- Sensory Information: with respect to the Dolby Access App, the PHRTF Creator App, and the Dolby Voice Console, visual, audio, electronic or similar information.
- Inferences: inferences drawn from any of the information identified above to create a profile about you reflecting your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
- Performing services, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing analytics services, providing storage, or providing similar services;
- Providing advertising and marketing services to you, except for cross-context behavioral advertising (which is addressed in the Sale or Sharing of Personal Information Section below);
- Auditing related to counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance;
- Short-term, transient use, including, but not limited to, nonpersonalized advertising shown as part of your current interaction with us;
- Helping to ensure security and integrity to the extent the use of your personal information is reasonably necessary and proportionate for these purposes;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration; and
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us.
In addition, we may use certain personal information for purposes of managing professional relationships with our business customers and partners.
Retention of Personal Information
Sources of Personal Information
During the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this Statement, we may have obtained personal information about you from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you, such as when you purchase a product from us, create an account with us, contact us through our “Support” and “Contact Us” features, provide reviews or feedback about the Services;
- From your devices, such as when you interact with our Services;
- Our affiliates and subsidiaries;
- Vendors who provide services on our behalf;
- Data analytics providers;
- Our business partners;
- Online advertising services and advertising networks;
- Professional and social networks;
- Data brokers;
- Government entities.
Sale or Sharing of Personal Information
We do not sell your personal information in exchange for monetary compensation.
We do not have actual knowledge that we sell or share the personal information of minors under 16 years of age. We do not sell or share sensitive personal information.
Disclosure of Personal Information
During the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this Statement, we may have disclosed the following categories of personal information about you for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
Categories of Personal Information
Categories of Third Parties
Additional Data Subject to Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80
In addition to the categories of third parties identified above, during the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this Statement, we may have disclosed personal information about you to government entities (e.g., in response to law enforcement requests) and third parties in connection with corporate transactions (e.g., mergers, acquisitions, joint venture, reorganization, divestitures, dissolution or liquidation).
California Consumer Privacy Rights
You have certain choices regarding your personal information, as described below.
Access: You have the right to request, twice in a 12-month period, that we disclose to you the personal information we have collected, used, disclosed and sold or shared about you during the past 12 months.
Correction: You have the right to request that we correct the personal information we maintain about you, if that information is inaccurate.
Deletion: You have the right to request that we delete certain personal information we have collected from you.
Opt-Out of Sale or Sharing: You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information or the sharing of your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes.
Shine the Light Request: You also may have the right to request that we provide you with (a) a list of certain categories of personal information we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year and (b) the identity of those third parties.
How to Submit a Request
To submit a (i) Shine the Light request or (ii) request to access, correct, or delete your personal information, click here. Please select Legal Department as the topic when submitting a request. You may also email us at Privacy@dolby.com or call us at 800-519-8605.
To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we will take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your personal information or complying with your request. [If you have an online account with us, we may verify your identity by requiring you to sign into your account. If you do not have an online account with us, we may require you to provide the following information: your name, email address or other contact information associated with your interactions with us, and a description of your interactions with us to verify your identity. In addition, if you do not have an online account and you ask us to provide you with specific pieces of personal information, we may require you to sign a declaration under penalty of perjury that you are the consumer whose personal information is the subject of the request.
If you designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf, depending on whether you have an online account with us, we may require that you verify your identity as set forth above. We also may require you to provide the authorized agent a written confirmation that you have authorized the agent to act on your behalf and the scope of such authorization.
If you choose to exercise any of your rights under the CCPA/CPRA, you have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment by us. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may charge a reasonable fee to comply with your request. This Statement is available in alternative formats upon request. To request this Statement in an alternative format, please contact Privacy@dolby.com.
This Policy may be updated periodically to reflect changes in our personal information practices. We will indicate at the top of the Policy when it was most recently updated.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Policy, or if you would like to exercise your rights, please feel free to send us an email, or write to Privacy@dolby.com, or to:
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
Attn: Privacy – Legal
1275 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94103-1410
Residents of the European Union may write to:
Dolby Europe Limited
Attn: Legal EMEA
4-6 Soho Square
London W1D 3PZ